Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pure Elation


Here's a brochure for the trip we did. And we actually saw this fish!

Anyone who knows me is probably aware that I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to physical activities. So when we decided to do a boat excursion to see the Great Barrier Reef (30K off-shore), I selected a cruise that offered several opportunities to look into the water without actually getting wet (by viewing through a glass bottomed boat or riding in a semi-submersible craft with lots of windows below the water line).

My husband Michael was determined to snorkel while at the reef. But I assumed it would be beyond my reach since I wear eye glasses and would not be able to see with goggles.

After meeting and talking with a marine biologist on board, I decided to leap in --beginning with a 30-minute introductory class. The instructor Courtney was a gem and opened an underwater world to me into which I could never envision myself.

After mastering the skill of breathing with the snorkel, Courtney took us on a guided swim pointing out various types of coral, fish and other sea creatures.

Much to my amazement I could see perfectly well under water. When the group lesson was over we bid farewell to Courtney, then Michael and I took off to explore on our own. My first foray was not without challenge but it was definitely exhilarating. After a few big snorts a salt water I needed a break.

Next we rode in the semi-submersible. It was fabulous. We saw big schools of fish, a few small sharks, many different corals and giant clams.  After lunch we suited up again and went snorkeling for another hour or so. Now much more comfortable in the water we went to the perimeters of the observation area. Some of the coral were very colorful (those closer to the sunlight and younger) and some looked dead or damaged from recent storms. We spotted an array of fish that we recognized from our Reef Teach lecture the evening before.  Michael even found the well-disguised (but poisonous) rock fish. We got out of the water just in time to shower, change and warm up before the big catamaran returned us to Caines. 

It was one of the best days of my life and I continue to contemplate how to spend more time snorkeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment